Gospel Herald: Chai Ling Comforts Chinese Students Traumatized by Boston Marathon Explosions
Monday, April 29, 2013 -- From the Gospel Herald, by Hannah Lee:
 
Born-again Christian Chai Ling, former leader of the 1989 Tiananmen Square student protest, comforts the overseas Chinese students traumatized by the Boston Marathon bombings.

 

Chinese students have expressed fear and confusion since their fellow Chinese graduate student Lu Linzi, 23, was killed from the blasts near the finish line of Boston Marathon. Some have asked questions that they have never asked before. 

Over a thousand students filled the memorial service held for Lu last Monday evening. She was her parent's only child in Shenyang, China. 

Chai, founder of Boston-based nonprofit All Girls Allowed, sent out a letter of hope to the Chinese student communities in Boston and America on April 26. She hopes to reach out to them before they return to China in the next few weeks.

"Feeling scared? About the feeling of being out of control of your own safety and destiny? It could happen to you. Dreams shattered? You thought this country was safe and full of freedom, like heaven, but not anymore," Chai wrote. 
 
She said the students have questions, but may avoid them, because they think there might not be an answer. Yet, “deep in your heart, your mind could not stop thinking and searching,” she wrote, explaining that she understands how they feel because she has been there before. 

"23 years ago, I came to America, without friends and family, to study,” she said. “As some of you may know from my background, I was at Tiananmen Square during the student movement in 1989, and stayed there until the last hour before the massacre that took place on June 4th. I was spared from death.” 
 
Read the full Gospel Herald article here and the full text of Chai Ling's letter in English and Chinese here.






More News

IMAGE: Chris Gash / New York Times

 

One-Child Policy Must Be Abolished, Not Merely Tweaked

Do Not Stand Against God’s Deliverance

 

BEIJING, China – The Chinese government announced this week at its Third Plenum that it will “fine-tune” its One-Child Policy, a coercive birth planning policy that has been in place for over 33 years.  The changes will allow couples to have two children if one of the parents is an only child.  All Girls Allowed welcomes the news of the...

 

Chinese women will not be given rights over their own bodies any time soon, according to a recent report from Guandong, China’s most populous province.

 

Provincial authorities in Guangdong boldly petitioned the central government in July for a relaxation of the policy, to allow 2 children per couple (if both parents were only children).

 

Yet this past Sunday, provincial authorities officially ruled out any significant change in the province's family planning policy in the next five years, in contrast to their earlier...

Officials dumped Ms. Feng’s baby at her side following a forced abortion last week. Original photo source [WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE].

 

SHAANXI, China—Government officials forced Feng Jianmei, who was 7 months pregnant with her second daughter, to undergo an abortion ten days ago. Five family planning officials abducted Ms. Feng on June 2nd while her husband, Deng Jiyuan, was away at work. When she could not pay the fine of 40,000 RMB ($6,270),...